truth be told

"Yes, I have loved you with an everlasting love; Therefore with lovingkindness I have drawn you." Jeremiah 31:3 (NKJ)

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Love - In all the wrong places.

Yesterday I was walking out of the Bay after work when I was approached by a rather intoxicated young man. As soon as I saw him I began to pray in tongues. He had randomly gone up to a guy crossing the street and had very calmly told him to f-*# off. He had bruises all over his face and had looked like he had already taken a pretty brutal beating.

As I was waiting to cross the street he swings around the light post that I'm standing beside and asks me if I know where he can find some pot or weed. Usually when I'm asked this question I like to say, "I can't offer you drugs but I can pray for you" or something to that effect. I, however, didn't think it was such a good idea with this guy.

He continues looking at me and says, "Can I ask you a question?" I said sure, not having a clue what he would ask me. He says, "Can I kiss your lips?" (Yikes!) I was a shocked but calmly informed him that he could not kiss my lips.

I looked across the street to see if the bright, shining wee little man was signaling my exit and was grateful to see that it was time to leave! I wished God's blessings on him and began to walk away. He started to follow me for a few feet but stopped in the middle of the street and yelled, "But I love you! I love you!" As I walked away.

This broke my heart. He was looking for love in the one form that he knew it. It's days like these when I wish I were a man and would be comfortable telling him about a love that is not fleeting, a love filled with restoration, a life-giving love that heals what has been broken.

Father God, I pray for this young man. Would you bring people into his life to tell him of Your unfailing, unconditional love. Lord, would you give me the words to say in situations like these. Thank you, Father, for protecting me every day! I pray that the fear of man would not hinder what You want to do in and through me. Jesus, would I be a broken, empty vessel in which you can flow through. Touch those around me, God. Use me. I love you, Jesus!

3 Comments:

Blogger Christina said...

I'm glad you were safe Steph. I just had this picture of you crossing the street with two GIANT angels by your side. And yes, I agree with you that sometimes gender makes a huge difference in wheather it is wise to step out and share with someone, (and especially if they are intoxicated). Way to use wisdom in how to deal with this situation, and yes Lord may this man experience true love that only comes from you. Love you girlie!

Tuesday, March 22, 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think it's pretty amazing that God has given you the wisdom to see what is really going on in situations like that. Not that fear wasn't an issue.

Compassion is a difficult thing unless we have the spiritual eyes to see.

Wednesday, March 23, 2005  
Blogger mariaborito said...

That happens to me a lot! Well, not exactly the kissing, i love you part but the problem with guys who really need God's love but it's very awkward for me to show them that without them thinking the wrong thing. Prayer is really the best tool. Good wisdom!

Wednesday, March 23, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home