truth be told

"Yes, I have loved you with an everlasting love; Therefore with lovingkindness I have drawn you." Jeremiah 31:3 (NKJ)

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

What's the balance?

When am I being assertive and when do I cross that line into feeling and acting impatient? I want to be a good communicator. I haven't been the best at communicating in the past, quite frankly it used to scare me, but I think with all that God is doing in me He's creating in me a better communicator (so to speak). Hallelujah!

I just got off of the phone with a client. This client never calls to book an appointment. He just walks right in demanding to see the audiologist no matter who else has booked an appointment before him. This ticks me off! I know in the whole spectrum of life it's not a big deal but now I'm forced to send him away every time he doesn't have an appointment (the audiologist refuses to see him without an appointment now). Just book a bloody appointment!

So, he called today - which is amazing in itself! He told me that he wouldn't be able to make it in at a specified time but would come sometime in the afternoon. He wanted to come in around 1:00 and the only other appointment was at 2:30. I had to tell him over and over and over again that he could not come in at 1:00! If he wanted to see the audiologist on that particular day he had to come in at that particular time.

It got to the point that I was being really...assertive. At least I hope I was still being assertive and not crossing into revealing my frustration. I don't feel bad about the way I was dealing with him but it made me wonder how often I act the same way as this client. When do I push the boundaries that do not need to be pushed? When do I assume things of people and demand my way?

Now, I'm not feeling any condemnation over this and I don't feel like I have a problem with pushing into other people's boundaries (if I do please tell me!) but I want to be aware of this. Everyone needs boundaries! If we don't have them we end up being used, abused and burned out....

How did I end up over here? I thought I was talking about communication?!?! Maybe that will be the next lesson learned - staying on topic while communicating? There's too much to get into on the topics of communicating, respect and boundaries. Maybe another time. I do know that I want to be faithful in all of these things, though.

Anyway, just some food for thought.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kristi said...

As iron sharpen iron......It is really frustrating to deal with the people in our lives that "sharpen" us. I hear you in the wrestle though.... incorporating assertiveness, boundaries, confidence and humility! Whew! What a challenge!

Tuesday, March 08, 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think you're on to something there Steph: Putting yourself in the other person's shoes. (nearly impossible sometimes). In realizing that you yourself may at times act like this person you will hopefully be able to act and speak, with lots of grace for everyone.

Ultimately we just don't know what the other person's life is like, whether they had even had a father, or mother, or who knows what...

But, boundaries! Nobody should cross your boundaries. If somebody sins, forgive them, but you can totally make it clear that you aren't going to let them walk all over you.

Wednesday, March 09, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home