truth be told

"Yes, I have loved you with an everlasting love; Therefore with lovingkindness I have drawn you." Jeremiah 31:3 (NKJ)

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Giving = the gift of the season!

Yesterday a bunch of people from work and I went and delivered Christmas Hamper's. It was such a blessing to be a part of all the giving. We started off the evening by meeting at Extra Foods down Notre Dame and we shopped till our carts were brimming with food. Then we packaged it all up into boxes and separated the items and presents as per the families and then began the adventure of finding their apartments.

I did not know that Balmoral was a crazy street. It ends, starts again, gets cut off, turns, starts again and the process is repeated. Balmoral is like a street gone bad! Anyway, we ended up finding the apartment and delivered the hamper to our first family. They were appreciative and we headed off to deliver our second hamper.

This next apartment complex was eerie and beautiful. The staircase and moldings were beautiful in colour and form but there was something eerie about it. It could have had something to do with the fact that my boss and one of my co-workers got eaten by the elevator.

When the elevator door opened the mother was standing their to greet us with a huge smile on her face. We brought the groceries and gifts inside and placed them in their living room because their kitchen was way too tiny to fit it all in.

One of my co-workers bent down to shake the 3 year old boys hand and he puckered up to kiss her! He gave her a huge hug! It was the sweetest thing in the world... my heart kinda got left in downtown Winnipeg.

After all the hampers were delivered the group of us headed out for supper. We decided that we didn't want to just deliver these hampers and never go back again. So....we're going back! Hopefully at Easter to deliver another hamper. (If this works with the family)

It was sooo cool to be giving gifts and blessing those less fortunate, even complete strangers, with food and kindness along side my co-workers!!

I want this to be an every day occurrence. I want to live out of this place of generosity and compassion. My heart feels so alive when I give. Why don't I do it more?!?

1 Comments:

Blogger Kristi said...

Sounds like a great evening! I love the joy of giving! I do wish I had more resources to give!

Wednesday, December 21, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home