truth be told

"Yes, I have loved you with an everlasting love; Therefore with lovingkindness I have drawn you." Jeremiah 31:3 (NKJ)

Wednesday, January 19, 2005

The Sweet Smell of Childhood Memories!

As I kid whenever winter rolled around my dad would haul out the old, worn snowmobiles thus beginning our wonderful winter adventures! I enjoyed these chilly adventures of tearing up the nearby fields with my dad and two siblings!

The smell of gas and exhaust would permeate our nostrils as we bounced around on the back of the snowmobile. We would come home pooped from the cold and physical activity of trying to stay on the tube, GT's or whatever else was used to pull us around.

We would run into the house full of snow, noses running and cheeks beaming red, to be greeted with the wonderful, comforting smell of my mom's fresh homemade brownies. These were the best brownies ever made! My mom would scoop us a portion of brownie and ice cream and we were free to enjoy! I love those memories! They're a part of my childhood that I hope to continually be thankful for and never forget.

Last night was like stepping back into my childhood - only this time I was the one making the brownies in my own apartment with my own roommate after we had come back from skating in a community center in this big place we call "the city"! (Compared to Mitchell, that is) It was wonderful!

Marcia (my roomie) and I started our lovely adventure at Sobey's. We picked up some New Bothwell cheese (the best!), some cocoa, ice cream, a pineapple and milk! Then we trotted into the hell-hole called St. Vital mall. Kay, I'm being a little harsh. I actually didn't mind being at the mall yesterday. We got our pics developed at Wal-Mart, bought some long-johns and a lamp for our living room and took advantage of West 49's half price sale. (All I have to say is that you have a hot hoodie, Marce ; )

From there our journey lead us home where I made the brownie batter while she set up the lamp. Then we added some more layers and headed out the door to the community center a few blocks away. We had the entire public skating rink to ourselves! Actually, we had to share it with the guy who was clearing all of the snow off the rink and showing off with his awesome snow plow! (Yes, I did practice my amazing hockey-style stopping abilities Christina and Cam! I am getting better!) The fact that there was no one else on that rink provided a great opportunity to practice our interpretive dancing skills while lying on the freezing ice looking up at the orange-ish/pink-ish sky! God is so good! I was so thankful to be alive, independent, outside and a girl with a roommate! It was awesome! Thank you Jesus for all of your blessings!

When we got home our cheeks were blazing red (it was freakin' cold and windy on the walk home) and we were ready for some brownies!! I popped the pan into the oven and thirty minutes later we were enjoying the smell and taste of fresh homemade brownies and vanilla ice cream! It wasn't as good as my moms brownies (because they simply weren't my moms brownies) but the smell made me miss her! I love my mom and am so thankful for all that she has done for me!

So, I raise a toast to those wonderful, sweet smelling childhood memories, good ole parents and super-fantastic roommates!! Cheers to all and to all a good evening!!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Kristi said...

so heart-warming! I have those memories too!

Wednesday, January 19, 2005  
Blogger Christina said...

Those are the kind of memories that you make into traditions with your own kids one day. Winter adventures and brownies with ice cream, I like it!

Thursday, January 20, 2005  
Blogger Sonya said...

Ah, the smell of snowmobile exhaust! That will never leave you for sure! My brother and I used to do a bit of that.

Sounds like you had a wonderful evening. You know you're being decadent when you buy a pineapple!

Oh, savour the moments, I say! That's something worth doing all your life!

Friday, January 21, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home