truth be told

"Yes, I have loved you with an everlasting love; Therefore with lovingkindness I have drawn you." Jeremiah 31:3 (NKJ)

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

dad's and daughters

I think it is the desire of every daughter to be her father's pride and joy. For him to be proud of her, delight in her and proclaim her beauty and goodness. Fathers, don't be afraid to love your daughters!!!

My dad called me last night! He doesn't call me very often (if he does I don't know about it because he rarely leaves a message) and I was happy to hear his voice on the other end. We talked about some normal things: "how's life?" "how's work" "what are you doing this weekend" etc.

Then he told me he found me a husband. BLAH! Gulp. What? This is not something my dad would usually say! He always tells me that I don't need a man. I laughed so hard and pelted him with the questions who, what, where, when, how and why?!?

This guy spoke at my dad's church on Sunday about working with YWAM in Colorado. (He's originally from around here. I went to high school with him, actually.) Disclaimer: I'm not interested in being set up with him at all. I am interested in why my dad would put two and two together.

I asked my dad why we would make a good couple. Here's the kicker - this made my day - "Because he's on fire for Jesus!" Yes! My love for Jesus is evident to my father! I love it! Not that I didn't think it was evident to him, I was just surprised with his response. He seemed so excited. (You should have heard him on the phone!) He wanted to go up to the boy and say, "you're a nice guy. You should marry my daughter"!! I am so thankful that he didn't!

One thing I realized yesterday after mulling over this conversation in my head was that I felt like I had received a bit of a daughters blessing from my dad. It was like by saying that he's found a guy he considers good and in love with Jesus was like saying that he considers me worthy of someone good and in love with Jesus.

It's crazy how a little, and even funny, thing can make me feel blessed. My dad (or people in general) probably wouldn't take that conversation to mean so much. My little heart is happy, though, because it feels like I've tasted a bit of the blessing of my father as a woman. (so dramatic, but true)

3 Comments:

Blogger Kristi said...

That is absolutely great Steph! Fathers blessing daughters is so important! You deserve the best for you!

Wednesday, June 01, 2005  
Blogger Christina said...

It makes total sense Steph. What a crazy powerful role fathers play in the lives of their daughters, and many don't even realize it. And the sad part is that in the formative years when a daughter needs her dad's affirmation, that is usually when he backs away. Maybe its cuz she is no longer his little girl, and has now suddenly turned more into a woman and he figures its her Mom's role now to "deal" with her. Ugh, so wrong!
Anyway, I'll stop now. Never realized I felt so passionate about the subject. But its true, Fathers play an irreplaceable role in their daughters lives, and that is very cool that you felt some lovin' from yours!

Wednesday, June 01, 2005  
Blogger Sonya said...

Yay for happy dad moments! You do deserve the best, Stephanie. By the way, when I've been thinking of you lately, I've been thinking "Steph needs to go on a big adventure". I know God has amazing things in store for you (maybe even an amazing man...but first, amazing adventures!) You're beautiful!

Thursday, June 02, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home